Wild swimming, also known as open water swimming or cold-water therapy, has been dominating the media over the last couple of years. It is the practice of swimming in a natural body of water; a perfect activity to enjoy here in the UK, with its abundance of meandering rivers and mystical lakes to discover.
As you can imagine, wild swimming is especially popular during the summer months – mainly because you’re less likely to get hypothermia! So, why not make a change from visiting over-chlorinated pools and experience the joys of open water swimming this summer? Here are just some of the reasons why a wild swimming holiday could change your life…
Boost Your Physical & Mental Health
Wild swimming is a fun and enjoyable activity, offering a great opportunity to stay fit and immerse yourself in mother nature. Below are just some of the health benefits of open water swimming:
- Eases muscle soreness, aches and pains. Cold water immersion is actually used as a healing technique to help athletes deal with their injuries and/or muscle pain.
- Reduces inflammation, which is known to cause a range of issues such as arthritis and depression. This is due to a process called “cold water adaptation”, which occurs via regular swimming in cold water.
- Boosts your immune system. Immersing yourself in cold water shocks the immune system, encouraging it to produce more white blood cells and antioxidants. This helps improve your immune system, so you are better equipped to fight illnesses.
- Improves your blood circulation. Cold water causes blood to rush to your organs and makes your heart work harder, boosting your circulation throughout the body.
- Promotes a better night’s sleep. Whilst swimming in cold water, your parasympathetic nervous system (PMS) is stimulated, which helps to relax and repair your body.
- Can help you lose weight if completed regularly. When swimming in cold water, your body must work harder to keep warm, which greatly increases the number of calories burned.
- Good for your skin and your hair. Cold water acts as a natural skin exfoliator; cleaning out your pores and making it smoother.
It also poses the following mental health benefits:
- Manages anxiety and depression symptoms. Physical exercise and meditation are proven techniques to help naturally lower depression; since wild swimming combines aspects of the two, it can really help to lift any mental darkness.
- Increases your alertness and energy levels. Your heart starts pumping quicker and your nerve endings come to attention – it’s one of the best natural highs you can get!
- Releases serotonin and dopamine, the “happy hormones”. Cold water immersion is scientifically proven to increase dopamine levels, as well as accelerating our natural endocannabinoid state, in turn giving us a profound mood boost.
- Reduces stress. The hormone cortisol can lead to anxiety, poor sleep and digestive problems, so it’s important to reduce stress where you can. When you train your body to handle pain and discomfort by immersing yourself in cold water (the “cold water adaptation” process), your body can deal with stress much better.
- Allows you to reconnect with nature, which is scientifically proven to have a positive impact on our mood. “Green exercises” such as wild swimming helps you to become more positive and reduces tiredness and anxiety – all while basking in mother nature’s glory.
- Wild swimming is a meditative activity, requiring you to be in the moment and disconnect from the outside world. Whilst swimming, you are concentrating solely on your breathing and the feeling of the cold water on your body; leaving no room for worries or anxieties.
Wonderful Wild Swimming Holidays at Moonrise Lodges
Here at Moonrise Lodges, we have a beautiful private lake with tempting wild water, providing the ideal opportunity for wild swimming. After just a 5-minute stroll from our lodges, you will reach our magical glistening lake, complete with a rustic fishing lodge. The lodge is fully equipped with electric heaters, camping chairs and a camping stove to make hot drinks; providing the perfect hub to change and warm up in after your cold-water swim.
Our idyllic wooden lodges provide the perfect base for a wild swimming holiday this summer. The lake is ideal for both experienced swimmers and complete beginners. Dive into the lake for a refreshing morning swim or a late-night dip after dark – the world is your oyster! Ready to take the plunge? Click here to book your wonderful wild swimming staycation in rural Shropshire.
Please be aware that wild swimming should be undertaken at your own risk, and you should keep children under close supervision near the water.